When: Sunday September 16
Where: Fed Ex Field
Weather: Partly sunny, highs near 80. Chance of rain 40%
TV: CBS (Spero Dedes, Adam Archuleta)
Line: Washington -5 Over/Under 47.5
The Washington Redskins host Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts in their home opener on Sunday afternoon at Fed Ex Field. Much like last week, if you don’t live in the DMV or in this week’s case- Indiana, you won’t be watching the Burgundy & Gold. Most of the country gets Kansas City at Pittsburgh @ 1 PM on CBS. CBS has the doubleheader, with the entire east coast getting New England @ Jacksonville. We get the late game on FOX, Arizona @ the Rams @ 4 PM.
LEADER: Colts lead all-time series, 20-10
STREAKS: Colts have won past 3
LAST GAME: 11/30/14: Redskins 27 at Colts 49
LAST GAME AT SITE: 10/17/10: Colts 27, Redskins 24
Map Courtesy @506sports
Sunday Night: NY Giants @ Dallas (NBC)
Monday Night: Seattle @ Chicago (ESPN)
GAME 1 OPPONENT
The Indianapolis Colts enter the game with an 0-1 record, after dropping their season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, 34-23.
Head Coach Frank Reich leads the Colts in his first season at the helm, after serving as the offensive coordinator for the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles last season.
Quarterback Andrew Luck returns to lead the passing game after missing the entire 2017 season with a shoulder injury. Luck began his 2018 campaign completing 39-of-53 pass attempts with 319 yards passing, two touchdowns and one interception.
Rookie Jordan Wilkins made his NFL regular season debut against Cincinnati and led the team in rushing. Wilkins recorded 40 rushing yards on 14 attempts, and split rushing duties with rookie counterpart Nyheim Hines, who recorded 52 all-purpose yards.
Four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver T.Y. Hilton returned to the lineup to record five catches for 46 yards and a touchdown, while receiving passes from Andrew Luck for the first time since 2016.
The tight end position has played a key role for the Colts early on in the 2018 NFL season. Tight end Jack Doyle led the team with 60 receiving yards on seven receptions, while Eric Ebron added four catches for 51 yards and a touchdown against the Bengals.
A 2018 second round pick, Darius Leonard made his professional debut tallied a team high nine tackles, including six solo.
Defensive end Margus Hunt tallied two sacks for a total of 14 yards lost, while totaling 3 tackles for loss combined.
Safety Clayton Geathers led the way for the Colts secondary, with seven solo tackles and a forced fumble in the losing effort.
Cornerback Kenny Moore II recorded the team’s first interception of the year and his career while safety Mathias Farley forced a fumble and added two tackles to his stat line.
NFL tenured kicker Adam Vinatieri started the year connecting 3-of-4 field goals, including one from 51 yards at the end of the 2nd quarter.
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
WATCH LIVE: HC Jay Gruden and DC Greg Manusky speak to the media following practice Thursday. https://t.co/tHwMKFCucT
— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) September 13, 2018
— Clark Wade (@ClarkWade34) September 13, 2018
• QB ALEX SMITH passed for 255 yards with 2 TDs & 0 INTs for 118.1 rating in Was. debut last week.
• RB ADRIAN PETERSON rushed for 96 yards & TD & had 70 rec. yards in Week 1. Has 12,372 career rush yards & 100 career rush TDs & became 7th player in NFL history with 12,000+ rush yards & 100+ rush TDs. Surpassed HOFers MARSHALL FAULK (12,279) & JIM BROWN (12,312) for 10th-most rush yards all-time. RB CHRIS THOMPSON had 128 scrimmage yards (65 rush, 63 rec.) & rec. TD in Week 1. Aims for 4th in row at home vs. AFC with TD. Has 487 scrimmage yards (121.8 per game) & rec. TD in his past 4 at home.
• TE JORDAN REED had TD catch last week. Had 9 receptions for 123 yards in last meeting. Has 5 TD catches in his past 4 at home vs. AFC. WR JAMISON CROWDER aims for 4th in row at home with TD catch. TE VERNON DAVIS has 3 rec. TDs in his past 4 vs. AFC.
• LB RYAN KERRIGAN had sack & FF in last meeting. In his past 8 at home vs. AFC, has 9.5 sacks & 2 FFs. Since entering league in 2011, is 1 of 3 (VON MILLER & J.J. WATT) with 300+ tackles (369) & 70+ sacks (71.5). DE MATT IOANNIDIS had sack, FF & FR in Week 1. Has 2 sacks in his past 3 vs. AFC. LB RYAN ANDERSON had 1st-career sack last week. CB JOSH NORMAN is only NFL player with 45+ PD (47) & 7+ FFs (7) since 2015. CB QUINTON DUNBAR had INT last week.
QB ANDREW LUCK completed career-high 39 of 53 (73.6 pct.) for 319 yards with 2 TDs vs. 1 INT for 93.2 rating in Week 1. Passed for 370 yards with 5 TDs vs. 1 INT for 137 rating in only career meeting. In his past 4 vs. NFC, has 1,238 pass yards (309.5 per game) with 9 TDs vs. 2 INTs for 108.1 rating.
• RB MARLON MACK has rush TD in 2 of his past 3 vs. NFC. Rookie RB JORDAN WILKINS had 61 scrimmage yards in NFL debut last week. RB CHRISTINE MICHAEL has 7.8 yards per carry avg. in 4 career games vs. NFC East.
• WR T.Y. HILTON had TD catch in Week 1. Had 5 catches for 62 yards & TD in only career meeting. Aims for 3rd in row vs. NFC East with rec. TD. TE JACK DOYLE has 146 catches since 2016, 3rd-most among NFL TEs. TE ERIC EBRON had TD catch in Colts debut last week. Has rec. TD in 3 of his past 4. WR RYAN GRANT had career-high 8 catches in Week 1. Had 84 catches for 985 yards & 6 TDs in 4 seasons with Was. (2014-17).
• LB DARIUS LEONARD (rookie) led team with 9 tackles & had FR in NFL debut last week. DE JABAAL SHEARD had sack & FF in only career meeting (12/16/12 with Cle.). Has 4 sacks in his past 5 vs. NFC East. DT MARGUS HUNT had 2 sacks in Week 1, his 1st career multi-sack game. CB KENNY MOORE II had INT in Week 1.
• K ADAM VINATIERI made 51-yard FG last week, his 40th career 50+ yard FG, tied for 6th-most in NFL history.
— Kareem Copeland (@kareemcopeland) September 13, 2018
Cover Photo Courtesy @Redskins
The Washington Redskins dominated on defense. pic.twitter.com/lgguMZ0eV8
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) September 11, 2018
— NFL (@NFL) September 12, 2018